Public Relations Account Executive
New York, NY
We’re currently hiring a Public Relations Account Executive to join our growing team. You’ll work directly with senior team members to develop pitch angles and place stories, follow media coverage and trending news, and draft pitches, press releases, speaking abstracts, award entries for clients. In addition to all the essential skills that that make you great at PR (an eye for a good angle, excellent writing skills, dogged persistence to deliver for clients, top-notch client management), you also like ownership, responsibility, strategic thinking, and understanding how PR works in service of business goals. You should have at least 1-2 years of agency or in-house communications experience, and at least a handful of established media relationships.
A PR Account Executive at CVM must have an interest in growing businesses and in emerging technologies. Our team works, often side-by-side, with in-house teams on the marketing and communications strategies that can make or break any business. Often there’s no existing roadmap for PR around an entirely new technology, so you should be energized by the challenge of creating new solutions, new approaches, new messaging, and new storylines. You should have a strong interest in following how existing technologies or current market problems are paving the way for new ideas, new technologies, and new businesses.
You’ll work from our office in the Meatpacking district, with our hard-working team that wears lots of hats. Though our roots are in PR, our agency is built on providing our clients (technology/start-ups, brands, products and b2b companies) all the services they often need as part of a unified communications strategy and approach, including web design, content development, and other aspects of effective inbound-outbound marketing strategies.
- A good communicator. You're able to communicate with clients and media clearly in writing, over the phone, and in meetings. You can shape business ideas into media-relevant pitches, and explain yourself to clients and colleagues.
- Organized and detail-oriented. You leave no stone unturned in identifying opportunities for clients, and you're able to handle multiple projects and responsibilities without letting anything slip between the cracks.
- A reader and sponge. You know what’s going on in the world. You consume media (hard news and pop culture), follow trends, and you’re always looking for opportunities for clients as you do it.
- A builder of media relationships. You have some established media relationships and are continuing to build them with every new client and story angle. You have solid instincts and an understanding of which kind of story will be right for which reporter/media outlet. Your pitches are targeted and thoughtful in a way that makes reporters respect you as a publicist.
- A thinker and problem solver. Tough client? No news? Oddball target market? You like the the challenge of coming up with new solutions and new ideas and figuring out how to take them from vague concept to well-executed deliverable.
- A desire for responsibility. You’re self-motivated, you’re looking for ownership, you like when you’ve earned the trust of your boss and co-workers, you love the feeling of accomplishment that comes from taking a project from start to finish.
- A desire for growth. You want to learn about new kinds of businesses, take on new challenges, and grow into new and more senior responsibility, including leading accounts, managing junior employees, or developing new or existing company initiatives.
- Cross-disciplinary curiosity. In addition to PR, our agency creates brands, builds websites, designs custom mobile apps, and conceives and implements entire complex marketing strategies. You should be excited to be a part of that conversation, learning from your colleagues’ work and contributing with your own insights and perspective.
- A collaborator. Although much of our work happens independently, we share our successes and help each other come up with solutions when we’re stumped or dealing with a tough client problem. We don't necessarily celebrate every tiny individual or agency achievement, but we respect a job well done and reward employees who contribute to agency growth and success.
- 1-2 years of PR/communications experience. You understand how PR works and know that you like it.
- A Bachelor's degree. You have an undergraduate education, preferably in a liberal arts field or in communications.
- Send a cover letter telling why you think you're a fit. Tell us why you think you're a fit, what interests you about our company, and a bit about yourself so we can get a sense of your personality.
- Send us your resume. Please send it as a PDF.