How to Thrive in Your PR Internship
Internships open up a door of possibilities, giving a glimpse into the real world. College students are looking to start their career early by securing an internship and thriving in their position. Typically, interns are only hired for a short amount of time- so how do you make the most out of your experience and thrive in your PR internship?
10 Tips to Help You Thrive in Your PR
- Give it your all. Securing the internship is the easy part- now, you have to dedicate yourself to the work. To succeed in PR, you need to put all of your energy into creating the best work for your clients and company. Focus on what kind of impact you want to make and how you will do so.
- Get familiar with the companies you’re working with. This crucial step gives you more information and insight into what you’re going to be working on. Moreover, if you understand the foundations of your internship, it gives a good impression to your coworkers and clients. Researching companies and the industries they’re in shows that you are willing to take the time to learn and familiarize yourself with your PR clients.
- Make connections. There’s a good chance that you’ll be working with a team of interns or other employees at the company. So, if you want to thrive in your PR internship become friends with your peers. They can teach you things that are helpful to your job. One of the best parts of PR is being able to work in teams to come up with solutions, exchange ideas, and brainstorm action plans. Work-friends also make great happy hour companions!
- Stand out. Be a leader, not a follower. Make a good impression on your colleagues and supervisors by taking charge of tasks. Be the one to send the email on behalf of the other interns, or offer to take on extra projects. Show them that you are ready to work hard and put in 110%.
- Challenge yourself to think outside the box. A big part of PR is being able to think creatively. Writing a good pitch or a successful blog post takes time, but it is also important to bring some personality and creativity to your writing. It is so rewarding to get media interest from a pitch, especially if it was the creative thinking behind the pitch that wowed the journalist.
- Learn from your mistakes. It is inevitable that you will make mistakes, but the real test is to see what you decide to do after. Instead of getting down about it, learn from the mistakes to ensure they don’t happen again. PR is all about learning the profession and getting more experience to ensure you’re doing the best work possible.
- Be open to doing something new. Success in PR happens when you step out of your comfort zone. Say yes to challenges and new opportunities. They will help you grow into a better colleague and PR specialist. This also makes the job more interesting, as PR professionals typically don’t do the same thing each day.
- Highlight your communication skills. Some careers require you to be a “people person” and PR is one of them. You are constantly going to be speaking with clients, journalists, and colleagues, whether on calls, through emails, or in-person meetings. To thrive in your PR internship or a PR career, you need to have good communication skills.
- Be yourself. To me, the best part of PR is opening yourself up to a variety of different people. Collaborating with others who have varying personalities is interesting and keeps the job enjoyable. It may be difficult to work with people who aren’t always on the same page as you, but this gives you the chance to challenge yourself and grow as a PR professional.
- Have fun! PR might seem intense, but it is a great field to be a part of. This is the first step to your journey in the PR industry. The skills you learn in your internship will stick with you throughout your career. Make the most out of your internship- it pays off in the long run.
About Channel V Media
Welcome to Channel V Media (CVM). We’re an award-winning PR and communications agency, founded in 2008.
We build market momentum for Fortune 500 and emerging companies, advising and executing on Communications Strategy, PR strategy, and digital marketing. We specialize in breaking clients into new markets and categories, rising to the top of crowded conversations, and reinvigorating enthusiasm for long-standing companies as they compete in new areas.
CVM builds awareness for companies and their products, develops C-suite leaders into industry visionaries, positions clients to be among the most vocal in high-value conversations, and drives inbound leads.
Some of our clients include Sopra Banking Software, GFT, Penn Mutual, IBM, Bluecore, Grapeshot + Oracle, Fortune & Frame, and others.